Saturday, March 31, 2007

Remember how I lobbied Congress?

So I was in DC last week. On my last day of lobbying, I had a morning meeting, then the entire afternoon before my flight. So of course, in Our Nation's Capital, the home of Historical Monuments and Smithosian Museums, I did what any young, patriotic American would do. I shopped.
More specifically, I shopped for yarn.
Here's what I got.

Four skeins of Alchemy Synchronicity - two variegated in pink, red and purple, two hot pink. They are destined to become the scarf on the cover of Modular Knits, or something like it. (I already had the book.)

Two skeins of Qiviuk, which is 45% Qiviuk, 45% merino and 10% silk. All told, I have about 450 beautiful yards of it, and it's destined to become something from Victorian Lace Today, or something like it. (Also already had that book.) It's also destined to be knit with the new lace Addis (size 5), my first go with those.
I can't begin to describe this yarn. It's softer than angora, softer than cashmere, and surprisingly, softer than the stuff that was 100% quiviuk. I spent about half an hour nuzzling it before I realized I couldn't live without it, particularly in this charming shade of red. ("When in doubt, wear red" - Bill Blass) I love red, particularly when it comes to something stunning like a dress. And when are you most like to wear a lace shawl? When you're wearing something else stunning, of course. And nothing is likely to touch more bare skin, as most fancy dresses have spaghetti straps or less. It's crazy, it's insane, it's going to be an heirloom piece. But it's mine, and you can't have it.

I also picked up this pattern, which was knit up in the store in a nice raspberry color. I think it was a bit thinner too, which is how I would make it. It's a really cool pattern - I hadn't seen lace with pleats before. In theory, I suppose I could have figured out how to do it, but I do like that pattern, and it was only a few bucks (unlike the quiviuk).
I also picked up a few samples of this nice fabric wash. It's rinse free, and the ladies at the shop assured me it smells wonderful. Well, I'm sure I'll be trying it out soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
So, in summary, if you're in DC, check out Stitch DC. I hit up both their Capital Hill (where I was lobbying) and Georgetown (where I was staying) locations, and found some good things at each.
And I so could have come home with a lot more. Like that Lorna's Laces roving that was begging me to become thrummed mittens....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear the specifics of your lobbying efforts and what the responses have been from those you encountered. The logo for your business card is perfect. I know absolutely nothing about knittin' though my friend would love your red socks.