Friday, August 31, 2007

Definition of Fugly -- Contest!

Carol asks, "Hey, for a 'Newbie' what constitutes a Fugly? "
Good question, Carol.
Fugly Friday started as an homage to the late, great You Knit What? blog. They used the word frequently to describe anything that was "effing ugly." My rule of thumb is that if it makes me ask, "You knit what?" it qualifies for Fugly Friday.
This got me thinking, though. Just like Cute Overload has the Rules of Cuteness, I think we should work up some rules of fugly. Or at least guidelines. What would you like to add? And hey, let's make it a contest. A random winner will be selected from everyone who makes it on the list. And let's have pictures to illustrate. As usual, the email is theoriesofstring[removethis]@gmail[removethis].com.

Here's what I have so far:


There is no good reason for the item to exist.

If there is a good reason for the item to exist, it should not be hand knit.

A garment does not appear to be designed to fit the human body.

It is flagrantly the wrong size and you finish it anyway.

It often involves fun fur.

It is made in an extremely impractical fashion.

It is made with extremely impractical materials.


What else have you got?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, I am glad there are some Fugly Friday guidelines. I am going to be thinking hard about some good rules. :)

Have a good weekend!