Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Jaywalkers, or Hopping on the Bandwagon

As if taking up knitting socks weren't enough, I have knit popular socks from the internet.
These are Jaywalkers by Grumperina, and everyone and their next door neighbors have knit them. Her gallery is rapidly approaching the 1000 mark, and shows no sign of slowing down.
To be honest, maybe there's something to it. The pattern is easily memorized, but really fun to knit. Look at that zig-zaggediness.
My only complaint is that they seem to want to fall down. If I made them again (which I might someday, actually), I would add a bit more ribbing at the top. Otherwise, they fit very well.
I made a few small modifications - I opted for an eye of partridge heel instead of the regular heel flap. I am absolutely in love with this pattern now. I think the little spikiness of it goes well with the peaks and points of the pattern.
I assure you it looks much better in real life. The camera is being poopy today.
Also, I did a three-needle bindoff on the toe because I'm too lazy to get the needle. They're for me, and I can't tell the difference when I'm wearing them, so :p .
All in all, I am a fan. These took entirely too long to make, because they got put to the back burner while I was making more time-sensitive projects.
And I broke far too many needles before I learned the rubber band/ dpn trick. Still, I am very happy to have yet another pair of super comfy socks for my little feet.
In summary:
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill (100% superwash merino) - jewel tone potluck color, 1 skein
Pattern: Jaywalkers by Grumperina, with eye of partidge heel and three needle bindoff toe
Needles: Size 1 dpn, with much abuse
Cost: about $20
Time: Around 6 weeks, with little to no attention paid to them for most of that.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Lovely- I haven't gotten around to these yet. I really love the color.

DancingFish said...

Very nice! I hope mine turn out as well!

Jen said...

Well, I love the Jaywalkers! I am such a huge fan of that pattern and yours look awesome!

Anonymous said...

And they are beautiful (and I hope not that blurry in real life :-)

Carrie Penny said...

I haven't made them yet! So, not every neighbor... I do love them though! I love that purplish dark blue!