Yeah, that's about all I've got.
I really do like these socks though. They're the August sock club pattern from the Ewe and Me sock club.
When I saw the sample in the store, I was a little disappointed. They looked like boring, simple little ribbed socks, and I wasn't crazy about the yarn.
Boy was I wrong.
The yarn is really wonderful. It's Fortissima Sockina Cotton (75% cotton, 25% acrylic), and it's wonderful to work with. It has all the memory and stretch of wool, and the pattern works up just as nicely. If the mom ever decides she needs more socks, it will probably be this brand.
Also, the pattern was not at all boring, because check out this heel flap.
Yes, it's a little dark, but you can see there's a nifty woven texture to it. That's achieved by knitting the stitch through the back loop and then, the part that confused me for a while, wrapping the yarn the wrong way (you purl normally on the purl rows). Once I realized that yes, in fact, I was supposed to wrap the yarn the wrong way around the needle, I was really delighted with it. That's a kind of stitch I had never even heard of before, and I've spent entirely too much times sitting around looking at stitch dictionaries. I was quite pleased with it. And the way it looks makes me want to incorporate other interesting stitches into my heel flaps now too. Linen stitch anyone?
So anyway, this whole sock club thing might work out okay, because I would never in a million years have chosen either the yarn or the pattern, and I wound up loving both. Something similar is happening with the September socks, which you will probably see in a few days (I swear, I'm on the second foot now).
The one thing I wasn't happy with was their suggested gauge. Even the sample in the shop looked too drapey to me. I subbed in some 1's for some 2's and knit the largest size, and I was much happier.
Pattern: Summer anklet with a twist, Ewe and me August sock club
Yarn: Fortissima Sockina Cotton, faux fair isle blues and purples, 75% cotton, 25% nylon, 339 yds, about half a skein
Needles: Size 1 (2.25mm) dpn
Time: About two weeks of light work
Cost: About $18 for the kit (yarn + pattern)