Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Socks for a New Year

So, technically, these were the November Socks from my Ewe and Me sock club. But I had to hurry to get December back, so I'm all caught up now.


To be honest, it took a little while to start these. I mean, it's seriously just a cuff down, 2x2 rib with a s1, k1 style heel flap. It was hard to get excited about that.


But the yarn is really, really pretty. It's the "Iris" colorway from Gypsy Girl. At first I was afraid it would be too yellow or too green (neither of which I like very much), but I think the overall effect is of a pretty teal blue.
Oh, and check out those awesome sock blockers. They're made by hand by Lorna's dad, but I think you can still get them at my new LYS, Peggy's Strands of Heaven.


Overall, I'm pleased, but the pattern was not exciting. The yarn is lovely, and I would highly recommend it. The color is amazing, and there's hardly any pooling at all. The fiber feels absolutely lovely. I'd compare it to Claudia or Shibui.

In summary:
Yarn: Gypsy Girl sock yarn (100% superwash merino, 200 yds/ skein) 2 skeins
Pattern: November Sock of the month, but it's cuff down 2x2 ribbing with a k1, sl 1 heel flap and your basic toe
Needles: Size US 1 (2.25 mm), two 12" circs
Time: Well, I've had it for about two months, but I suspect I worked lightly on it for two weeks
Cost: About $20 for the kit

PS. Expect exciting news about January's sock of the month soon

2 comments:

DK said...

So jealous of the sock blockers. No one (Lorna, ahem) has mailed me mine yet...::sigh::....woe is me, woe, woe, woe....

Love the socks, though. That really is fabulous yarn.

Lorna said...

Yeup, sock blockers are in hand - I just picked up 8 sets when I visited my folks over Christmas...

So, Miss Kate... check your email!

:)