Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I think he likes it

While I may have one of the world's cutest kittens, I am fairly certain I have one of the most spoiled. After stealing my bag for entirely too long, I had to make my little Duncan a bed of his own from the same yarn.

But could you resist this tummy? No, I didn't think so.
I wanted to felt it, since the yarn is a thick and thin, and he likes the felted bag. His foster mom, Heather, gave me a pattern for a cute little round cat bed, but it was knitted from the outside in. I wasn't sure if I would have enough yarn for that, so I knit from the inside out.
It's basically based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl (which can be found in Knitting Workshop) in that I basically followed her instructions for when to increase on the circle. I say basically, because at some point, I wound up with a ripple in the last round.

I figured I would just roll it over and stitch it down after I felted it to make a ridge around the bed. But after the first felting, the ripples looked kind of cute when I stiched them together. It winds up looking a lot like a pie crust, and I will avoid the obvious puns.
I was going to felt it some more, but I made the mistake of leaving it in the living room and Duncan claimed it already. I think this is a good sign.
His good taste continues though, as the other day he tried to steal my angora sweater. (Look at those claws!)

This look better mean, "I love you, Mom."


It probably just means he loves the sweater. I knit him a little blankie with some leftovers, but he doesn't seem to care about it. At least he likes the cat bed, and I can have my bag back.
Worfy does not seem to care and still sleeps on my Hello Kitty pillow, or directly above my head when he can manage it.
In summary:
Yarn: Queensland Big Wave(90% wool, 10% cashmere, 65 yards) about 9 skeins
Pattern: Loosely based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl
Needle: Size US 13 (9.0 mm)
Time: Less than a week, but the last rounds felt like forever
Cost: Far too high for a cat bed. Honestly, about $80, and that was on sale. At least I'll get my bag back, though.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Well, Sarah, I believe that Duncan does really like his new cat bed (it is very cute) and I am glad that you got your bag back. Maybe now that he has a bed, he will relinquish your sweater.

DK said...

He is beyond adorable. Resistence, if you will, is futile.

Happy new year!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you introduced Duncan to kleenex or toiletpaper "spitballs"?Our Tweedie loved to compete in trying to hit them back similar to tennis. She actually would "hide" or "stalk" on the floor and I think she thought we could not see her or else in position.

Next time ya see Lorna, ask her.
Carol

Jen said...

Duncan cracks me up. I think he loves yarn more than any other cat ever!.

He looks good in his kitty bed!