Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Vindication

Do you remember these? Chances are, if you've met me since I left South Bend, you don't. These were my first horrible, catastrophic disaster with socks. They were so bad, they put me off socks for at least a year.
Here's the thing nobody told me - socks need to be dense, and gauge swatches lie. So I happily knit the first giant, holey sock on size 3's, and I didn't know any better. It was bad. I didn't know what happened.


As you know, I have definitely overcome my fear of socks. In fact, I have basically gone from phobia to addiction. But I never quite got back to the disastrous first one. Well, now I have, and I am vindicated. I dragged up a terrible UFO from two years ago, and finally finished them off.

It's actually a really great yarn. I can't tell if Duncan is approving, or scared. But he sure is cute, and look at how big he's getting!
So, take that cruel fates of knitting. I have overcome.

In Summary:
Yarn: Probably Opal, definitely something I bought in Germany
Pattern: Basic k2, p2 ribbed cuff and instep, basic sl 1, k1 heel flap, and usual gusset and toe
Needles: Size US 1 (2.25 mm), magic loop style (won't be doing that again unless I'm desperate)
Time: Two years in the making
Cost: I think it was around 12 Euros, at a better exchange rate than the current

1 comment:

DK said...

Triumph!!