Friday, July 28, 2006

Sunburst Sling Bag

The truth is, I actually finished all the actual knitting for this bag some months ago. I just hadn't finished. That was partly because I'm lazy, but also because I could decide what kind of lining I wanted. There are so many rich colors in this bag, it didn't seem fair to pick just one. I tried, I even picked out some Indian cotton in a deep red, but when it came time to sew it up, it just didn't look right. I decided the answer was just to sew up the bag and worry about the lining later, by which I mean if I do decide on a lining, make my mom do it. The fabric actually seems dense enough that it's not going to be a problem. And the bag is large enough that I could fit a small European country (say, Luxembourg) in it.
The pattern was really fun to knit. It's the Sunburst Sling Bag, and it's a bunch of wedges made by short rows. I'm in love with short rows because they're easy enough that you can knit them in public, but not so boring that you want to chew your own arm off. It's a little stretched out in the picture because I've actually been using it, which is a bonus. I probably should have checked my gauge and not made it this big, but I really like it.

Pattern: Sunburst Sling Bag by Just One More Row, bought by a friend off eBay for $3
Yarn: Recylced Sari Silk
Needles: Size 8, in the collection, but clearly was wrong for the gauge. I maintain that this is a happy accident.
Price: We're not going to talk about that
Time: A few weeks of sporadic knitting, several months before seaming

No comments: