Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mom's Lyra's Hat

After my mom saw my Lyra's hat, she wanted one too. However, she wanted one in red and black to make her coat. While I love those colors, I do not think anything can compete with the original. However, she is very happy with it, and confirms how ridiculously warm it is.

This is three strands of held together - one Brown Sheep Burly Spun in Prairie Fire (super bulky), two Nashua Creative Focus Chunky in black. I had my original hat to get the thickness of the yarn right, and it was actually tricky getting something that super-super-bulky together, especially in the colors she wanted. It was the Burly Spun that really saved the day. I think it was the last one the shop had, and it just happened to be the right color.

Mom is rather sensitive to wool, so she lined hers, I think with some sort of velour. I like the wooly feel, but since I'm not the one wearing it, or the one doing the sewing, I don't mind at all.

I didn't actually follow the pattern, but there are really only so many ways you can make a rectangle with a three needle bind off. Mine is a little smallish on the width of my head, so I made hers a little wider. I love the short row shaping on mine, and actually wish it had been pointer. I didn't think she wanted the pointy so much, so I toned it down on hers. It's still a little pointy, but not the smurf-like pointiness I'd like on mine. All in all, it's quite nice, but still not as nice as mine. But I'm not the one wearing it.

In Summary:
Pattern: Improvised Lyra's hat, see above
Yarn: Three strands held together - one Brown Sheep Burly Spun in Prairie Fire (100% wool, 132 yds), two Nashua Creative Focus Chunky in black (100% wool, 110 yds), lots left over of all
Needles: Size 19 (15.0 mm)
Time: Less than an hour
Cost: About $30 (after a discount, would probably cost at least $40 to make at full price)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's a Blog for if not to keep your "fans" happy, interested, nosey! ! ! !

Where's the beef--alias News?

Hope all is well. Our turn for snow as we had at least 4 to 6 inches last night.

Carol --Northwest tenn.