Thursday, December 06, 2007

December Nights

I'm famous!
Well, not really. But I do have a pattern going out as part of a sock club kit from Peggy's Strands of Heaven in Plainfield, IL.
As you may know, Jen dyes awesome yarn. Her devotees managed to hook her up with the owner of Peggy's, who talked into dying an exclusive colorway for the holiday sock club.
Jen called the yarn December Nights, and it's very cool. It's obviously holiday colored, without being obnoxiously red and green.
The name made me think of little stars, so I adapted this stitch from a stich dictionary and came up with a nice sock pattern. It's a little hard to see here, but there are little star stitches spaced throughout that are basically made like bobbles.
Since the way I swatched this pattern, I had to make them toe-up, I used my new favorite, the rectangle toe.

Isn't that a nice looking toe? Seriously, I may be making a whole lot more socks this way from now on.
I wanted to try a new heel, so I used the Andersson heel developed by Colin from the yahoo socknitters list.

I'm really happy with it, but it looks very odd at first. On the needles, it seems entirely too short and wide, but once you actually put your heel in it, the fit is fantastic.
So overall, I'm very thrilled. And the shop has put them together in these adorable little kits that come with some lavender scented shea butter. I'm right there at the checkout line waiting for an impulse buy.
I'm also seriously excited about having other people make my sock. I know at least Jen is, so there's that. It's not exactly a beginner pattern, but I'm happy to help anyone that hassles me.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

Congrats on publishing a pattern! I love the yarn and the pattern. I love toe up socks too. I'll have to check out the new heel style.

Jen said...

Oh, the socks are awesome in person and it's awesome to see them blogged about. :)

I have just a couple of Christmas things to finish knitting and then I am working on those socks. I love them.

Thanks for writing such a great pattern!

Amanda said...

This is so exciting. You're a big knitting star now! Can I have your autograph?

Anonymous said...

Congrats are in order for our "designer".

Add me to the list of " I knew her when"

And from one who lives FAR FAR away, she is as good as her word for that "Help" she offers. And she does it so well.

Congrats again Lorna, Mom

Robin said...

Congrats on publishing a pattern! That is great!

DK said...

Oh, wow! That turned out great! I'd totally buy you on impulse. In fact, I'm kind of sorry I can't - I'm really intruiged by that rectangle toe up thingie.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your publishing.
You did my heel really well, looks good! Thank you for using it.