Monday, April 21, 2008

Stripey Socks

I am displeased with blogger. This picture came out just fine on the camera and on flickr, but it's really doing something weird in here. For a better view, go see it there.
Anyway, these are some super basic socks I finished up while I was in DC, so nearly a month ago. I've just been so lazy with the blogging.
This is not really my usual colorway. I don't remember buying it, I don't know why I bought it, and I'm not entirely sure why I knit it right now. It's not like I don't have a million other sock yarns in the stash. I think I was just in the mood for something self striping.



It's the usual formula, plain stockinette with a little ribbing at the top. The only change up here is the improvised German heel. I'm not claiming it's a real German heel, because I don't know much about it. I do know that the first and last three stitches of the heel flap are in garter stitch, and the rest is in stockinette. I think that's the defining characteristic of that type of heel, but part of me suspects there's more to it.
I've tried really hard to capture my improvised German heel, but I can only contort so far, and it doesn't look right on the sock blocker. I need a Cookie A style model foot.

Nothing to sing about, but a nice pair of socks. I may find more use for them than I'd think. I do really like that kind of heel, and will probably use it again.

In summary:
Yarn: Schoeller and Stahl something or another (I'll look this up later), basic sock yarn, 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon, 450ish yards.
Needles: Size US 1 (2.25 mm) dpns
Pattern: CO 64 sts, about an inch of 2x2 ribbing, stockinette cuff and instep, improvised German heel, standard toe.
Time: About two weeks of random knitting
Cost: Probably about $18 for the yarn. Although it was probably less, because I'm pretty sure I only would have bought this yarn on sale.

No comments: